I was induced on April 7. I was so nervous about getting pitocin...and in the end, I didn't have to have it. They broke my water at 2:45 PM and by 7:30, I was dilated to 5 cm. I could have cried when they told me that, I was so happy, because it meant NO pitocin. At that point, they hooked me up to the IV drugs (ahhh...) and an hour later, I was 10 cm and ready to push. I made it to 10 cm with no epidural and was feeling great.
And then -- as I prepared for push number 1 -- the doctor announced to the room: "Um...this baby is breech."
The next 15 minutes are a bit of a whirlwind, but I was put under general anaesthetic and had an emergency c-section. Baby Z arrived with no problems at all at 9:05 PM. I woke up an hour later and met him for the first time. He has been a model baby ever since, so I have forgiven him for the 8 weeks of bed rest; the 2 weeks of waiting and waiting and waiting after bed rest; and the dramatic half hour before he was born.
He was 8 lbs., 8 oz. and 20.5 inches tall. At his one-week checkup, he had already regained to his birth weight (65th percentile) and grown a half an inch (80th percentile). He eats like a champ, slept for a four-hour stretch last night, and patiently snoozes in his swing or bouncy seat while I pay attention to his big bro and sis. In short, he is perfect. We could not be happier!
2 comments:
Wow! What a birth story... All the way to 10cm and then a c surprise! Holy cow! You are a trooper. What a big healthy boy... Congrats!!! I can't believe you are already getting four hour stretches... Lucky!
Enjoy him!
So cute- congrats!
Post a Comment