Monday, January 16, 2012

MLK Day 2012

Topeka is the capital of Kansas. It is less than an hour from our house. I have been there exactly three times: once to take the bar exam; once to be sworn into the bar; and today. When I was there taking the bar, I got to my hotel a day early. I had time to kill, so I stumbled upon the Brown v. Board of Education museum (very inspirational way to spend the day before the bar exam, I must say!). It is housed in the building that was the actual "separate but [not] equal" school in the lawsuit (which came up to the Supreme Court via the federal district court in Kansas). ,br. I knew that I wanted to take the kids to see this museum, but the time was never right. Last week, I read that they were having special activities today to celebrate MLK Day at the museum. Truck is a little young for this activity, so we dropped him off at school, and the big kids, Mom and Dad headed to Topeka!
They had a great scavenger hunt for the kids that really helped guide them through the museum. They also showed several movies, had a craft room and a live MLK-trivia game where our team (the Rainbow Cougars) placed a respectable second. It was a great, great way to spend the holiday!
Happy MLK Day to All!

No comments: